Thursday, November 26, 2009

Rocks and Minerals

Yesterday I was lucky enough to hang out with a bunch of grade three kids at the Telus World of Science. It was pretty fun, and I realized that Matthew is just a normal grade three boy - they all dance around and stand on their chairs and act silly. We had a classroom session on rocks and minerals, and many childhood memories came back: Going rock hunting in the field behind our house, going to Drumheller in grade 8 (especially when she pulled out the Gneiss rocks) and being a kid. When Matthew and I hopped in the car, he said "Mom, I'm really glad you came today." So even though I had work to do and people to call, it was worth spending those hours with Matthew. In a few years, he won't even want me around, so I had better take advantage now if he wants to hang out with me. It's sad to hear people say "They grow up so fast." I don't think they grow up too fast - I just think we're all too busy to notice them growing.

We also saw an Imax film on India, and the narrator remarked that 80% of Indians live a slow paced life in small villages. I've tried to slow down, but for some reason it's just not happening. October and November have whizzed by at the speed of light and here we are, faced with Christmas, and I don't have the tree decorated yet! I thought that by staying home and limiting activities to those in Devon would help slow down the pace, but it hasn't. There is some elusive factor that I can't quite put my finger on. Maybe it's the fact that we can't live in the moment...there is too much to think about down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment