Tuesday, July 26, 2011

I Hate My Bed

It's now been 11 days since my surgery and I've been home for just over a week. I find it amusing what my pre-surgery self thought I'd be doing right now: Meeting with friends, going for walks, returning to The Mustard Seed, working, etc. The reality is that I've barely been out of the house since I came home and I have spent way too much time in bed. For the first few days after I came home, I could only stand for 5-10 minutes before I became dizzy and nauseous, and had to return to bed. Each night was torture as I tried to get comfortable sleeping on my back, only to awake with stiff insides and a sore back.

I spent most of my time in the hospital doing number puzzles, grew tired of those, have now memorized the TV schedule, grown bored with the drivel on the screen, and I still won't be able to go for a good walk for at least another week, and running or lifting weights is at least a month away. I dread the dusk turning into night, as I face another uncomfortable sojourn with pillows piled all around.

But I am optimistic; I feel better than I did just a couple of days ago, I have minimal pain, I can laugh at my frozen and swollen stomach, and I know I'll be returning to normal life soon.

And on top of all that, I am thankful for our knowledgable doctors and access to great healthcare. We live in a wonderful country and we are so blessed.

So, even though I hate my bed, I thank God every day that I have a bed, and a house around it, and I am healthy and strong.

1 comment:

  1. Get better soon Jo! Can I bring you anything to enlighten your day any?

    ReplyDelete