Saturday, August 6, 2011

25 Minutes

Boy oh boy how we take our good health for granted! After thinking that I would be out walking only two weeks post-op, I came down to earth with a crash when I realized last Friday that it wasn't going to happen. My energy was still low, my insides sore, and so I delayed my walking program for a week.

Fast forward to yesterday, three weeks post-op, and so much has changed! On Thursday I started to feel better, and thought I'd just try to walk for ten minutes on Friday. I did a mile loop around our house and was happy to have finished in 24 minutes. I felt great all day, drank lots of water and ate good food, and woke up this morning feeling like I could do it again. I walked a full 2 km in 25 minutes, meaning I'm speeding up already! I now have my sites set on a trail run in September and maybe a 5 km run in October....but only if my doctor gives me the okay.

Who ever thought I'd be happy completing a 25 minute walk?!?!?!

After three weeks of less than optimal health, I'm definitely appreciating my body a lot more as it continues to heal, and I'm realizing how important good nutrition and hydration is to the healing process. We're only given one body, and at some point we need to realize that we need to treat it properly or it begins to fail us. I don't want to be living a life of regret 20 years from now thinking, "I wish I had taken better care of myself." I think there are too many people living that regret right now.

1 comment: