Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Yin Yoga

I am not a huge fan of yoga, but I am logical enough to know that there are huge benefits, especially for an aging body.  I am therefore taking two yoga classes a week, and last night was introduced to Yin Yoga.

Gak.

I don't know much about Yin Yoga, other than it is good for facsia and connective tissue, poses are held for a long time, and oh yes, one more thing.

IT HURTS.  A LOT.

I am writing this account in the hopes that I can look back on it in a year and chuckle, but I sure wasn't chuckling last night.  To start with, I couldn't even get my feet into the right position, the instructor had to come over and help me, so with her help I was able to get my legs in a contorted position.  Then she was expecting me to sit back.  My butt cheeks were supposed to be touching the floor.  I think the entire volume of the World Book Encyclopedia could have fit between my butt and the floor.  So she put yoga blocks underneath so I could somewhat sit.  Then she told me to lean forward.

I looked at her like she was crazy, and showed her that I wasn't able to lean forward.  She then pulled out a huge bolster that I had to rest my head on.  The whole time I was supposed to breathe, but I spent my time cursing my poor flexibility.  I felt like a big loser with my blocks and bolster while everyone else in the class was leaner forward, and yes, with butt cheeks on the floor.  Getting out of the position wasn't much easier.  And to top it all off my hips hurt when I woke up this morning.

However, I am determined that this Yin stuff will get easier each time I do it, and off I go tomorrow morning to try it again.  We'll see if it seems to be any better.

Somehow I doubt it will.

No comments:

Post a Comment