Monday, January 14, 2013

Warm Yoga

Everyone who knows me would agree that I am not a person who should be put in a hot climate.  I get fidgety, irritable, and downright cranky.  When friends are discussing their plans to go to Mexico or Cuba for a winter getaway, I just dream about going to the mountains and walking around in the crisp, cool air.  It should come as no surprise that this new craze known as "hot yoga" scares the bejeebers out of me! 

However, as is usual in my life, logic always triumphs over fear.  I am currently taking two yoga classes a week here in town, and long for the day when my body doesn't feel broken down.  My trainer told me the tales of her hot yoga experience, and while the thought of moving around in a room heated to 38-40 degrees is not my idea of a good time.....EVER, I thought that maybe the "warm yoga" (a mere 32-34 degrees) might be okay.  So my friend and I headed down the highway to a Sunday night Warm Yin Yoga class.

If I could sum it up in one word.....AMAZING.

And in a few words.....why didn't I start doing this years ago?

Our instructor had a voice like maple syrup - flowing, dreamy, calming.  Her postures were simple, yet effective, and very gentle.  The air was hot, but I found it comforting, almost like being wrapped in a warm blanket.  At the end, as everyone else was leaving, I just lay there, enjoying the silence and the heat.  The class went by too fast and I can't wait until the next one.

I came home so relaxed and slept very well.  I awoke at 5:15 feeling great and rolled out of bed for an am bootcamp-ish class.  If Jo from two years ago visited Jo today in a time machine, she would not believe what I am about to say.

I think I prefer the yoga class.

No comments:

Post a Comment