Thursday, June 16, 2011

Health

The human body is a miraculous thing. We can abuse it through lack of sleep, poor food choices, and lack of movement. Stress is an unseen abuser of our miraculous shells, but it too poisons from the inside out, but the body is strong. It keeps on ticking through all sorts of storms, until it finally gives up and screams, "ENOUGH!"

How long have I been abusing my body through stress? Probably too long. This winter was particularly stressful, mentally as I tried to cope (and still cope) with the aftermath of the fire, a crazy tax season, and trying to take on a side job at the gym. It was all too much, building at a frenetic pace to a climax that I didn't expect....it knocked me flat on my back.

I should have know something was wrong when I felt so tired for so long. I should have known something was wrong when I was sleeping until 900 on the weekend. I should have known something was wrong when a step aerobics class that I usually sail through almost killed me. I did know something was wrong when I woke up last Friday and my face and neck were swollen and my lymph node was painful to the touch. But still, I didn't want to bother with the hospital - it wasn't an "emergency". Scott finally made me go last Friday and I ended up with a staph infection and on IV antibiotics every eight hours for 72 hours. It was an emergency.

I never get sick, but this one has knocked me flat. I still feel like I could sleep all day, and wish that I could. I think my body has decided that enough is enough, and it's time to relax. It's time to get rid of the stress-causers and forget about the poisonous people, and just chill.

I'm not sure I even know what that means.

No comments:

Post a Comment