Tuesday, July 10, 2012

I'm Missing My Peeps

It's 7:17 on a Tuesday night, and I would normally be standing at the front door of The Mustard Seed, handing out plates for dinner, and smiling and chatting with the community members.  But I'm in South Dakota instead, in the middle of an awesome family vacation, having visited Mount Rushmore this morning and basking in the glow of Matthew's excitement.

But I find myself thinking of everyone, wondering how they are doing in the heat without air conditioning, without constant access to water, and many of them being shunned in the shopping malls while looking for a cool place to rest.  I have confidence, however, that the staff at the inner city agencies are watching for heatstroke as diligently as they watch for frostbite in the winter, and that the Hope Mission van is constantly circling, looking for signs of distress.

The coffee bar would be steaming hot, and the fans would just be blowing hot air around, and people would be cranky from the heat.  But just as in the dead of winter, just one smile might brighten the day of someone who was grumpy from too much sun.

I read a quote on Twitter that one positive relationship can change the course of a person's life, and I'm determined to be that one positive relationship.

But for now, I'm enjoying the dry heat in the Black Hills, looking forward to a day at the local waterpark tomorrow, and hanging out with my family in our air conditioned hotel room.

I'll be back with my peeps next Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment