Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Greek Yogurt!

Gee, I looked at my last post, thinking it had been a couple of weeks since I last posted, and it's been well over a month - where does the time go??? On a very happy note, I visited my surgeon yesterday and everything apparently looks GREAT! She was very happy (as was I) that she didn't have to take me back into surgery. I left the doctor's office thinking, okay, I'm better, so now it's time to get back into the right gear.

Perfect timing allowed my new Oxygen and CanFitPro magazine to arrive just as I needed some inspiration, and boy oh boy, did I find inspiration! I found great exercises to use in my classes which will begin in November, and some great new food ideas. I have been reading about Greek Yogurt forever and always wondered how different could it be? Well, very different! A good Greek yogurt packs 18 grams of protein per 3/4C serving (compared to about 6g in some normal yogurts), and the consistency is almost like pudding. For lunch today I threw 1/2 a scoop of protein powder into some plain Greek yogurt and it was almost like eating a chocolate mousse (there was just that little hint of yogurty sourness reminding that it was a close imposter!). So, I'm hooked!

Another new thing I tried today was egg whites right in my oatmeal. The consistency was odd (I'm used to a bit of crunch in my steel cut oats), but certainly better than cooking and eating egg whites separately. I think I can get used to it.

Interesting how a few little things can happen to change your mental focus. Really, I could have been eating all this stuff before, but I thought, why bother - you're just heading back under the knife anyway, so why bother being healthy? Silly.

Incidentally, I think I have uncovered why the drive thru lines at Tim Horton's are unexplicably long. It just not make logical sense that anyone would sit in a 15 car lineup when there might be two or three or even five inside. However, that car makes us anonymous - we're just a voice on the other end of a microphone, and no one can see us as we order donuts or ice caps or B.E.L.T.s or whatever. The drive thru worker has no judgment, since she goes through dozens of orders per day. But if we go inside....then someone might hear us ordering a Boston Creme and think we are full of poor choices.

Interesting...I think someone should study the Tim Horton's Drive Thru mentally, or maybe someone already has!

In the meantime, I'll skip my Ice Caps in favour of Green Tea, and ponder more important things in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment