Thursday, January 20, 2011

Empathy

My dad and I were having a chuckle about whether Scott would enjoy hanging out at the Mustard Seed. We decided he would not. My theory is that Scott has no empathy - he just can't relate to those who are a little down and out, and sees everything in black and white. If he just knew that a lot of people that come in to the Mustard Seed are neither down nor out, and many are just looking for a place to hang out for a couple of hours. On the other hand, maybe not everyone is right for an inner city mission, and I just can't see that because more and more I am seeing it as a place where I could be all of the time.

Our karaoke machine broke on Tuesday...now that made it a long night as the TV was tuned into a tennis match (why they weren't watching hockey, I have no idea). Apparently the laser is gone and they need an entire new machine. Not only is the machine used for karaoke on Tuesday, but also movie night on Friday. I am waiting to hear whether a new machine is in the budget, because if it isn't, I told Megan I would buy a new one (at which point I received a thankful hug from Helen, the community member who runs karaoke each week). Tuesday night just isn't the same without Gary's rendition of Johnny Cash, or Amos' rendition of Johnny Cash, or Clayton's wailings to Stone Temple Pilots or Nirvana. Even when some "less talented" singers take their turn at the mike, it's still fun. I have to make sure that they have a new machine for next Tuesday - I don't want to be stuck listening to tennis again!

Of course there are those who cringe at karaoke night, including Sheldon, who was very happy that the machine was broken (I didn't tell him I was going to buy a new machine!). We had a spirited discussion about our hockey teams (he's a Flames fan), and it was great to find something else to talk to him about. He's a funny guy, with that biting sarcasm that often leaves him sitting alone at the tables. But underneath he's just like the rest of us, with a mom and a dad, and a love for his sports teams (even if they are the Calgary Flames and the Winnipeg BlueBombers!). It's taken me seven months to dig under his layers, but it was worth it to have a great, yet insulting discussion about our rebuilding Edmonton Oilers!

And remember the woman who comes in every week, looking all grumpy, and I managed to eak a smile out of her a couple of months ago? She came in this week and addressed me by name with a cheery, "Hi Jo." Wow, I never would have guessed that in a million years. I even found out her name - Tammy.

So even though my beloved karaoke machine was broken, it was still a great night at The Mustard Seed. No wonder I can't wait to go back week after week.

No comments:

Post a Comment