Friday, January 1, 2010

Veggin' in the Lord

January 1. Another year has started, and along with it, all of the thoughts of how to make this year better than the last. Not that last year was bad - 2009 was a great year! However, there is always more that can be done, more ways to serve, more time to be immersed in The Word, more time to give to The Kingdom.

I went for a run this morning (-30 with windchill, but I was dressed well) and found myself pondering the upcoming year and how I could find more time to do the important things. Even though I tried to slow down in 2009 by quitting a high pressure job, the time still seemed to get away from me, and the year zoomed by as it always does. I came to the conclusion that by using each hour wisely, and not being involved in time wasters, that the days would be richer and might not whiz by so quickly.

And so I've decided to give up television, the ultimate time waster - we'll see how long I can last. So often the TV is used to just zone out and veg, to forget about the day and all the things that need to be done. It is so easy for two, three, four hours to go by during this "relaxation time", and then the scramble is on to get ready for tomorrow. Maybe, when I find myself needing some solace, I can just sit in the quiet, talk to God, ask for direction, and provide some meaning to that hour or two that I need to be alone.

We'll see how this goes - but when you consider most of us have 16 or 17 waking hours, why can't we give more of those hours to God? It sure is a better use of time than watching The Biggest Loser!

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment