Sunday, January 17, 2010

His Light At Every Turn

Before I write my real post, I'll just let you know the "no TV" thing didn't work out too well. I'll blame The Biggest Loser. What is it about 500 lb people that continues to draw our attention? More on that some other day.

Today is the first Sunday in a long time that I didn't come home feeling full of despair. I can't quite pinpoint where this despair comes from - perhaps returning to a home that always seems chaotic, wondering what I'll do for the rest of the week, but maybe it's leaving God behind and not relying on him every minute of every day. I feel lost in a way, like my friend is back at church and I can't find him unless I go back to that structure.

But today was a day that I didn't feel that despair when I returned home, probably because of all the amazing things that happened today and how I can see the potential in the world - the potential for doing His work.

It started when Pastor Dave asked me if I was ready to speak in front of the congregation, a task which I had completely forgotten about. Even though he said I could do it next week, I said no, as I had important things to say. I prayed during worship that God would send the words to my mouth. So I first spoke about the Christmas Elves, thanking everyone for their generosity, and they were so moved that they clapped for all that we had done for the people in need in Devon. I then spoke of my idea for a hot chocolate/tea drive for the Mustard Seed Church, not sure how people would react, and a lady I didn't even know came up to me after the service and gave me $20 to buy items for the drive. I was then thanked by someone else for doing this work for the Mustard Seed.

It made me realize that people do want to help, but often don't know where to start. Sometimes it just takes one person to nudge people in one direction, and it turns into something amazing. I have spoken to so many "old-timers" at our church (not necessarily old in age, but who have been around for years), and they all speak of the days when our church family would make monthly visits to the Mustard Seed and help serve. I don't understand why it stopped, but it did. Everyone thinks it is such a great idea to help, but the ball never gets rolling.

So maybe when I'm down at the Mustard Seed, dropping off the hot chocolate and tea for the coffee bar, I'll be able to talk to someone about how to get that ball rolling. It's time to get off our hands and use them for The Kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment