Monday, December 21, 2009

Performance

We had another fabulous church potluck and musical celebration last night. I didn't go too hard on the food (loaded my plate with carrots and just a few other things, including a very garlicy bruchetta that was very yummy, but stinky!) and Scott's sweet and sour ribs were a big hit. I had selected some music to play for the musical part, and it was a fairly simple version of "Do You Hear What I Hear". My practices at home had gone very well and I wasn't nervous at all...until I sat down at the piano.

I knew I was in trouble when I wasn't postive that my left pinky was on low C - the note my left hand needed to start on. My chest tightened up and I made many mistakes. Likely, only Mrs. Chapple (my piano teacher) knew of all the mistakes, but still, it wasn't a great performance. Last year (my debut) I was so proud because even though I made a big mistake, I covered it up very well and no one noticed. This year I felt like all the mistakes were magnified.

Oh well - I guess I can't have a stellar performance every time, but I wondered why I was having a small panic attack at the piano. I need to get over that pretty quickly if I want to play on a worship team. I gave myself five years, and still have two and a half to go, so maybe that's enough time to get the butterflies out.

No comments:

Post a Comment