Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Frogs and Muffins

First of all, I must say that there is no way that it's been over a month since I last posted!  November was just yesterday....wasn't it?  Try as I might, I just can't seem to keep the days and weeks from zipping by.  I was hoping to slow down December, but here we are, on the 12th already, and still so much to do!

Life goes on in the inner city, most of the people are aware of the Christmas season but many don't care; it's a painful time for many and they just want to get it over with...but are still appreciative of the many festive meals served during the season.  Last week was a tough week at the Mustard Seed; it was bitterly cold and windy, and I was yelled at more than once and also sworn at, and I left feeling drained and tired, but would never quit trying to befriend these people; all God's children who have just taken a wrong turn somewhere in their lives.

I remember when I first started volunteering and a woman named Tammy would come in every week, never smiling, never saying thank you, but I was determined to break through her rough exterior and now we are buddies!  On the days that I see her she tells me about their new place, her grandchildren, and what she's been up to since I last saw her.  I am reminded of Tammy as I approach the folks who look grumpy, who don't say thank you, who bark responses to my questions, knowing that inside there is a mother's son or a father's daughter, and at sometime in their lives, even if it was a long time ago, they had a spark of hope. 

And we can give hope to so many, even if it just through a smile.

Last night was one of those fun nights downtown - it was cold but the mood was festive, and my volunteer pal Minnie brought me an apron that was shaped like a frog.  Even though I am not typically an apron wearing person, I thought it was pretty cute and might generate some smiles throughout the night.  Boy, was I right!

My frog apron struck up many conversations with the community, prompted lots of smiles, and kept me in giggles for the entire night.  We had plenty of food and I was able to hand out muffins until the end of the night, and everyone left with something extra for their lunches the next day.  I joked with a community member who was trying to get us to guess his name, and rather than cheating and asking one of the staff, I just decided we would call him Rumpelstiltskin.  That evoked more laughter and giggles.

We all went our separate ways at 10:00, they to the streets and I to my car, but I left with a lot of good feelings and a prayer that maybe some of the community members will remember that evening of joy and fun, and that it will bring some hope into their lives that things could be a little better.

Where You go I'll go and what You say I'll say.......

No comments:

Post a Comment