Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Two Years

I was just reading my blog entry on June 15, 2010 - the first day I worked down at the Mustard Seed, and I wrote that I was One Billion Percent Sure that I had finally landed where God had called me - into the inner city, working with people.  Last night marked the two year mark of my Ministry, and while it's been a challenging two years, it has also been two years of spiritual growth and self discovery.

It was a busy night last night, much like the night that I started, but I was able to do a lot of roaming around, a lot of chatting, a lot of helping.  The karaoke was entertaining, as usual, and the coffee flowed freely as people came in out of the rain.  The highlight of the night (for the community) was the snack group who served ice cream and cookies.  I managed to sneak some Cream Soda, my favorite type of pop, and sip it happily behind the coffee bar.  My highlight was when my little buddy Glen gave me a flower to take home - he had picked something out that would be difficult for me to kill - I only have to water it once every two weeks!  Glen has always been friendly inside the Mustard Seed, but I have heard stories about his fights on the outside, including one that got him suspended for a few months.  It reminds me to keep my guard up, which hasn't always been the case.

They warned me before I started not to get too close to people since they may try to take advantage of a friendship....and it happened, but also taught me a good lesson.  I had a favorite, and we became really good friends....and then he asked me for money, and not just a little bit of money.  No one has ever asked me for anything, not even a quarter for the pop machine, because they know we can't give them anything, but the fact that he had the courage to ask me for a significant amount of money meant that I had let my guard down and gotten too close.  It jolted me into reality, I said no (of course - I don't even lend money to family!), and haven't seen him since.  Lesson learned.

It's been a great two years, and I've met some great people.  I just wish more of us who are blessed with time and money would give our time to these people - they are not scary, they are just people who are so grateful for a smile or a helping hand.  God has his protective hand over those of us who are called, and I have never once felt concern about being in the inner city. 

I am looking forward to all that this next year brings....

No comments:

Post a Comment