Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Sugar Girl

This young girl has been coming into The Mustard Seed for the past couple of months, and I noticed that when she hung around the coffee bar the sugar would disappear (faster than usual, anyway). She would ask for ziploc bags, and one evening I caught her filling it with sugar. She was very rude and constantly huffed and puffed when I wouldn't give her ziploc bags or extra plates. Since I didn't know her name, I called her Sugar Girl.

Tonight Sugar Girl was crouched in her corner, crying, and a few of us tried to talk to her, but she seemed to want to be left alone. I wondered what her circumstances were, why she was crying, and I felt bad for feeling disdain towards her just because she stole some sugar.

Even though we try hard not to be, a lot of the time we are so judgmental. I have tried to approach every inner city community member with an open mind, but it's easy to turn the other way when they aren't quite as friendly as we would like.

And how many times do we lay judgement against our Brothers and Sisters? Our insecurities cause us to put others down in order to puff ourselves up, but it's just wrong.

Just one more thing in a long list of things to work on.....

No comments:

Post a Comment